LAC Group can offer resources and support to help you manage and maximize the value of your collections, from ebooks to centuries of bound books and documents under your guardianship. We combine traditional and modern LIS (Library and Information Science) principles to maximize the utilization and value of your collections:
Examples of collections maintenance support
- Selecting print and electronic resources for library collection development.
- Facilitating user access across multiple platforms, devices and locations.
- Analyzing circulation statistics to provide the most current and relevant materials.
- Managing shelf space and offsite storage to optimize limited real estate.
- Comprehensive cataloging and metadata services.
Physical and digital materials experience
- Monographs, serials, journals and documents
- Videotape, audiotape, digital discs and film
- Archival materials
LAC librarians help federal libraries support user needs guided by demographics, trends, circulation data and other information. Our LIS experts will follow established guidelines or offer recommendations for policies and techniques to enhance visibility and user engagement, with an eye for greater efficiency and responsiveness to changing needs.
LAC Group is a trusted, skilled resource for your particular collection management needs and challenges.
Past performance examples for collections maintenance
Library of Congress
At the Library of Congress, LAC Group provides collections maintenance support across multiple projects:
- Legal Collections Management for the Law Library of Congress, requiring special expertise in legal materials, such as knowledge of superseded volumes, loose leaf filing and pocket parts. With a team of over twenty staff and a full-time, onsite project manager, we enable Law Library staff to pursue other strategic goals.
- Since 2013, LAC Group has been the incumbent provider to the Library’s Stacks & Collections Maintenance Support Program with multiple teams working in all three buildings of the main campus as well as the Library’s off-site storage facilities. Tasks include distribution, transport, new acquisitions sorting and filing and retrieval, with responsibility for shifting stacks to make the most efficient use of space while maintaining the integrity and safety of thousands of volumes handled every week.
- LAC Group also has held the contract for the Library’s Inspection of Production Lots Program (IPLP) since 2003, involving careful inspection of work processed in numerous other projects, including error flagging and controlling data on items selected for off-site storage. LAC Group utilizes a project database to capture and report on key performance data.
The Wilson Center Library of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
The Wilson Center Library of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, includes the John S. G. Simmons Collection—several hundred books from the 18th to 20th centuries related to Russian and Slavonic studies that were never cataloged. LAC Group librarians support the Center by cataloging and importing bibliographical records according to the library’s copy-cataloging standards.